Agency Links:    Home   Contact Us    Compliments & Complaints   Help    Site Map
Link to Homepage

Patient/Public Info  |  Regional Services  |  Health Professionals Info  |  About BCCA  |  Research  |  Donating

Lodging & Housing

 Reviewed : December, 2013

Sometimes you may need to travel out of your area for treatment appointments and you may wonder about affording the costs or finding a place to stay.  Sometimes you may need to know what other supports there are related to longer term housing. 

For out of town travel first consider:

  • If you are employed, you may have an extended health benefits plan through your employer, or other private insurance coverage.
  • If you are receiving Ministry of Social Development & Social Innovation assistance, Department of Veteran Affairs or First Nations's band support contact your caseworker or band office for help.
  • If you have low income you may qualify for the Canadian Cancer Society, Financial Support Program.

1. Where do I stay during my cancer treatment or tests?

2. I need help with lodging or housing related costs?


1. Where do I stay during my cancer treatment or tests?

While Recieving Treatment

Cancer lodges run by the Canadian Cancer Society provide lodging for out of town patients and their families, who need to be close to a Cancer Centre for treatment or tests.  A 24-hour nurse supervisor is available, and meals are included for a modest cost. You must be independent in your daily living activities and/or have an escort to assist you. You can contact the Lodges directly to find out more or to register. 

Jean C. Barber Vancouver Lodge
575 West 10th Avenue
Vancouver, BC
V5Z 4C3
Phone: 604.879.9131

Vancouver Island Lodge
2202 Richmond Ave.
Victoria, BC
V8R 4R5
Phone: 250.592.2662

Southern Interior Rotary Lodge
2251 Abbott Street
Kelowna, BC
V1Y 1E2
Phone: 250.712.2203

Centre for the North
Kordyban Lodge
Prince George, BC
Phone: 250.562.3535

    Medical Travel Accomodation Listing:

For more information about other accommodation close to your local cancer centre, refer to  Medical Travel Accommodation Listing . Put in the name of the city where you are wanting stay and you will receive a list of available accomodation. When you book a room, don't forget to request a medical rate.


2. I need help with lodging or housing related costs?

Lodging & Housing Related Assistance Programs 

    Canadian Cancer Society, Financial Support Programs:

If you have limited finances and no other options are available to you, a Canadian Cancer Society, Financial Support Program may be available to you to help with some of your travel and accomodations costs to attend your treatment appointments. You can print the application from the website or call the Cancer Information Service at 1-888-939-3333.

    Shelter Aid for Elderly Renters (SAFER):

SAFER subsidies help individuals who rent, have resided in BC for 1 year are aged 60+ years and pay 30% of their income in rent. Contact the BC Housing Management Commission:

  • Head Office (Burnaby): 1.800.257.7756
  • Vancouver: 604.433.2218

    Home Owner Grant:

If you are a property owner and are physically disabled or have a handicapped relative residing permanently with you, you may be eligible for a Provincial Home Owner Grant. Contact your municipal hall.

    Residential Rehabilitation Assistance Program and Home Adaptations for Seniors Independence:

The RRAP and Home Adaptations for Seniors Independence programs through the federal government provides financial help for individuals whose home or apartment needs modifications to improve accessibility to people who are disabled. Contact Canada Mortgage and Housing:

  • Toll free: 1.800.639-3938
  • Victoria: 250.388.6422
  • Vancouver: 604.731.5733

    Property Tax Deferment Program:

People with disabilities as defined by the Disability Benefits Program Act (or 60+ or who are widowed spouses) may be allowed to defer the payment of their property taxes until their home is sold. A preferential interest rate applies to the deferred taxes. Refer to to their website Property Tax Deferment Program or call Enquiry BC for further information:

  • Vancouver: 604.660.2421
  • Victoria: 250.387.0555
  • Toll free: 1.800.663.7867

    Low Cost Rental Housing:

Subsidized housing may be available for families, individuals with disabilities, and senior citizens. Check in your community to see what is available. For example, BC Housing, societies and churches may be sources of housing contacts. There may be waiting lists.

Residential Rehabilitation Assistance Program and Home Adaptations for Seniors Independence  are government programs which provide financial help for individuals whose home or apartment needs modifications to improve accessibility to the disabled. Contact Canada Mortgage and Housing for these and other programs.

    Rental Assistance Program:

The Rental Assistance Program provides eligible low-income, working families with financial assistance to help with their monthly rent payments.  To qualify, families must have a gross household income of $35,000 or less, have at least one dependent child, and have been employed at some point over the last year.


This section is created and edited by BCCA Psychosocial Oncology