BC Cancer is a welcoming space for gender and sexual minorities. This includes all members of the LGTBQ2S+ spectrum (lesbian, gay, trans, bisexual, queer/questioning, Two-Spirit, etc.).
BC Cancer’s Working Group on Sexual Orientation and Gender Identity and Expression (SOGIE) works to ensure that BC Cancer is a safe and welcoming space for gender and sexual minorities.
- Hosting learning opportunities for staff
- Updating our physical environment
- Graphic design to make our patient education materials more inclusive
- Even though we all try our best, research by Cathcart-Rake (2018), Gonzoles & Zinone 2018), Margolies (2014) and others shows that gender and sexual minorities are still not experiencing inclusive health care.
- Creating a safe space is one way that we are working towards addressing and caring for the needs of historically and currently marginalized individuals.
- To act in in accordance to the Canadian Human Rights Act and the BC Human Rights Code, which includes gender identity and expression as protected grounds from discrimination.