Q: Filgrastim (GCSF) is not on the Benefit Drug List. Is it covered by the BC Cancer Agency?
Filgrastim is not on the BC Cancer Agency benefit list because it is not used for the active treatment of cancer. It is used to decrease the duration of neutropenia associated with cancer chemotherapy. However, for inpatients at BC hospitals only, BC Cancer Agency does cover the drug cost of filgrastim for approved indications as outlined below. Outpatient coverage is through the BC PharmaCare Special Authority Program.
- BC Cancer Agency aligns coverage for filgrastim with the BC PharmaCare Special Authority Program.
- Effective January 31, 2017, PharmaCare covers GRASTOFILTM, a biosimilar formulation to NEUPOGENTM.
- Filgrastim is a Limited Coverage Drug through the BC PharmaCare Special Authority Program and the indications for coverage are outlined on the Filgrastim (GRASTOFILTM type) Special Authority Request Form.
- If the drug is being used for one of the eligible indications, the filgrastim (GRASTOFILTM) may be dispensed and the cost billed via OSCAR to the BC Cancer Agency. The indication for filgrastim is filled in at the time of OSCAR billing.
- For indications not listed, the filgrastim may be dispensed at the discretion of the hospital, but the cost will not be reimbursed by BC Cancer Agency.
Reviewed February 8, 2017