The websites listed in Recommended Websites have been chosen by the librarians of the B.C. Cancer Agency, with input from other BC Cancer Agency staff members regarding websites that contain technical or scientific information. Although suggestions of websites for inclusion are welcomed, the Library staff retains the final decision on which websites will be included.
Sites included in Recommended Websites are reviewed on a regular basis.
The librarians consider the following criteria when evaluating websites, but may include websites that do not meet all of the criteria if they are considered useful to our clients.
- provides information that supports the mission of the agency and is relevant to our clients
- provides accurate and reliable information
- clearly identifies the sources of information on its site
- identifies its mandate, scope, and objectives
- identifies its sources of funding and sponsorship
- exists primarily for informational or educational purposes and not to promote a product or service
- identifies the author or responsible organization and provides information about their credentials
- provides a way to contact the author, organization, or webmaster
- provides information that is reasonably current and is reviewed and updated regularly
- is well organized and easy to use
- provides unique information that is not easily found elsewhere
- is out of date and is no longer maintained
- contains numerous defunct links
- is found to contain inaccurate or misleading information
- is replaced by another site that provides superior coverage on the same topic