While cervical cancer screening has proven very effective in decreasing the incidence of pre-cancer and cervical cancer, like any screening test, it isn’t perfect. Women should be aware of the benefits and harms of cervical cancer screening and make an informed decision to screen.
(1) Arbyn M, Raifu AO, Bray F, Weiderpass E, Anttila A.Trends of cervical cancer mortality in the member states of the European Union. European Journal of Cancer 2009;45:2640–8.
(2) Quinn M, Babb P, Jones J, Allen E. Effect of screening on incidence of and mortality from cancer of cervix in England: evaluation based on routinely collected statistics. BMJ 1999;318(7188):904–8.
(3) Hildesheim A, Hadjmichael O, Schwartz P, et al.: Risk factors for rapid onset cervical cancer. Am J Obstet Gynecol 1999;180:571-577.
(4) Liebrich C, Brummer O, Von WR, et al.: Primary cervical cancer truly negative for high-risk human papillomavirus is a rare but distinct entity that can affect virgins and young adolescents. Eur J Gynaecol Oncol 2009;30:45-48.
(5) 2016 Cervical Cancer Screening Program Annual Report, BC Cancer Agency, www.screeningbc.ca
(6) Woodman CB, Collins SI, and Young LS. The natural history of cervical HPV infection: unresolved issues. Nature Reviews: Cancer. 2007; 7(1): 11-22.
(7) Kulasingam S, Havrilesky L, Ghebre R et al. Screening for Cervical Cancer: A Decision Analysis for the U.S. Preventive Services Task Force. 2011. Available at http://www.uspreventiveservicestaskforce.org/uspstf11/cervcancer/cervcanceres.pdf. Accessed January 2012.
(8) Fylan F. Screening for cervical cancer: a review of women's attitudes, knowledge, and behavior. The British Journal of General Practice. 1998; 48(433): 1509-14.
(9) Martin-Hirsch PP, Paraskevaidis E, Bryant A, Dickinson HO, Keep SL. Surgery for cervical intraepithelial neoplasia. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2010(6):CD001318.
(10) Kristensen J, Langhoff-Roos J, and Kristensen FB. Increased risk of preterm birth in women with cervical conization. Obstetrics and Gynecology. 1993; 81(6): 1005-8.
(11) Arbyn M, Kyrgiou M, Simoens C, Raifu AO, Koliopoulos G, Martin-Hirsch P, Prendiville W, Paraskevaidis E. Perinatal mortality and other severe adverse pregnancy outcomes associated with treatment of cervical intraepithelial neoplasia: meta-analysis. BMJ. 2008 Sep 18;337:a1284