BC Cancer Breast Screening provides free screening mammograms for eligible BC women age 40 and up.
- Find a breast screening centre in your community by searching the clinic locator.
- Book your appointment by contacting your preferred breast screening centre directly, or call the Screening Programs Client Services Centre at 1-800-663-9203 or outside BC 604-877-6187.
- Use the booking code provided in your reminder letter from BC Cancer Breast Screening to book your appointment online.
Please have your BC Services Card/CareCard and the name of your primary care provider available when you're booking your appointment. Examples of a primary care provider that you can use for breast screening include a doctor, nurse practitioner, or the name of a walk in clinic or virtual healthcare clinic that you have registered with and currently attend for your healthcare. A primary care provider is required to participate in screening. Primary care providers can advise you about the benefits and limitations of screening, order tests, and follow-up on test results.
If you don’t have a primary care provider, the following options are available to support screening:
Clinics supporting screening participants
- Northern BC
- A number of clinics are now available to support the communities in the North. Please call the Screening Programs Client Services Centre at 1-800-663-9203 for assistance.
- Prince George residents may also call the University Hospital of Northern BC Breast Screening Centre at 250-645-6654.
- Vancouver Lower Mainland and Victoria areas only, within 30km of city centre
- Vancouver Island and Gulf Islands
- Metro Vancouver
The clinics listed have volunteered to support screening participants who do not currently have a primary care provider. Being listed on this webpage should not be considered an endorsement by BC Cancer. Please contact these clinics directly for more information. If you are a clinic that is accepting patients for cancer screening referrals and follow-up, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Primary care resources
- Register for the Health Connect Registry to be contacted when a provider in your area becomes available.
- Call HealthLink BC at 8-1-1 and speak with a Health Service Navigator. They will review options with you, including how to find a family doctor accepting new patients, access walk-in clinics, or find a nurse practitioner in your community.
- Search for a primary care provider using the Pathways Medical Care Directory.
You may also consider
Providing the name of a naturopath when booking a mammogram. A naturopath can receive screening mammogram results, and if you need more testing, can help connect you to a local provider to manage follow-up procedures.
The BC Cancer Screening Programs Client Services Centre is open Monday to Friday from 8:00 am to 5:30 pm, and Saturday from 8:30 am to 4:30 pm. If you call during business hours and can't get through, please leave a voicemail and we will return your call. In your message, please leave your name, phone number, and the best time to call you back.
Appointments can also be booked online using the booking code in your reminder letter.
BC Cancer Breast Screening is a BC government-funded program offered through BC Cancer, an agency of the Provincial Health Services Authority.
Your information may be used and shared as authorized by the related Acts. We may ask your primary care provider or other organizations to give us information about you (e.g. copies of records or test results or to confirm your identity and personal health number). In particular, your information may be used:
- To identify you and communicate with you about your health care to provide you with health services
- To monitor the quality of our services and breast cancer trends in BC
- For education and training
- For research as permitted by FIPPA
Your identity is never disclosed without your prior consent unless disclosure is required by law (e.g. court order, subpoena). We take all reasonable steps to ensure that your personal information is treated confidentially and is stored securely.
You may correct or request access
to your personal information held by BC Cancer by contacting the BC Cancer Breast Screening central office:
BC Cancer Breast Screening
8th Floor, 686 West Broadway
Vancouver, BC V5Z 1G1
Tel: 1-800-663-9203 (toll-free)
If you notice any new changes in your breast such as a lump or nipple discharge, see your health care provider immediately. Your health care provider will help you determine if further testing is required.
If your health care provider decides that you need testing, you will be booked for an appointment at a diagnostic imaging office and you will be seen very quickly. This process is different than regular breast screening, which is done with women who have no breast concerns or symptoms