BC Cancer values and relies on the partnership with primary care providers, health authorities and labs to deliver the Colon Screening Program: BC Cancer's Colon Screening Program:
- develops provincial policies and program standards for screening
- notifies patients of FIT results (normal or notification for further follow up)
- recalls patients for re-screening or surveillance
- facilitates referrals to health authorities for patients who need pre-colonoscopy assessment
- monitors screening program performance and outcomes
Regional health authorities plan for capacity and deliver services for pre-colonoscopy assessment, colonoscopy and pathology.
Primary care providers identify eligible patients for screening and ordering fecal immunochemical tests (FIT) or referring high risk patients for colonoscopy.
Public and private laboratories within health authorities across BC are responsible for provide FIT kits to patients, and analyze and report FIT results to physicians, nurse practitioners and the screening program.