Video available in English, French, Cantonese, Mandarin & Punjabi
Radon fits the classic pattern for sneaky indoor dangers. With no colour, odour or taste, many home or building owners are simply unaware that it’s present. The only way to know whether you're being exposed to it is by using tools that measure radon levels.
So, what is this mysterious gas and where does it come from?
Radon is a radioactive gas that’s released from the ground to the air above and creeps into buildings through cracks in floors, walls and foundations, and even water.
When radon mixes with the air outside, it’s less of a concern since it quickly gets diluted. But when it seeps into a closed environment, like a home, school or workplace, it can build up to harmful levels.
Breathing radon over time—at any level but especially at high levels—can increase your risk of lung cancer.
Learn more about the link between radon and cancer and how you can reduce your exposure.