Welcome to BC Cancer's on-line skin cancer course for licensed health care professionals. The course was developed to fulfill the BC Cancer mission to promote health, prevent cancer, and treat patients with cancer. It was developed for continuing professional development for physicians, but is available to all health professionals. The course was developed by David McLean, MD, FRCPC, Jack Chritchley, MD, FRCPC (Retired), David Noble, BSc, BLS (Retired), Stephen Hansen, EdD (former Director of Learning & Development), Mike P. Gagel, RN, MSN, and the BC Cancer Skin Tumour Group.
We encourage any health professional to take this course. For questions about this course, please contact Kathy Pym by email: kathy.pym at bccancer.bc.ca.
Topics covered in this program may be used as a stimulus to create a personal learning project (see section 2) as defined by the Maintenance of Certification program of the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada. Maintenance of Certification information can be found on their website.
- The course content is current and important because of the steadily increasing rate of skin cancer
- Physicians may earn professional development credits
- Patients' questions about skin cancer can be answered with evidence-based recommendations
- Physicians completing the course will receive a ready-to-display certificate from BC Cancer
Upon completion of this course, you will be:
- aware of the current understanding of the causes of skin cancers,
- familiar with prevention strategies,
- able to identify skin cancers with more confidence, and
- able to effectively discuss skin cancer prevention with your patients.