BC Cancer’s mandate covers the full spectrum of cancer care from prevention, screening, diagnosis and treatment, to research and education, to supportive and palliative care.
A world free from cancer
To reduce the burden of cancer in British Columbia
- We provide person-centred care and support
- We collaborate to deliver high-quality integrated care
- We treat all those we serve with compassion and kindness
- We serve with purpose and passion
- We inspire creativity and excellence through innovation
BC Cancer operates six regional cancer centres, providing assessment and diagnostic services, chemotherapy, radiation therapy, and supportive care.
Each of BC Cancer’s centres delivers cancer treatment based on provincial standards and guidelines established by BC Cancer.
We work in partnership with communities to provide a network of chemotherapy clinics so patients can receive care closer to home.
Research is an essential part of BC Cancer’s mission to not only find the causes of cancer, but to find better treatments for prolonged life and better quality of life.
With direct links between BC Cancer’s physicians and researchers at our six centres, the Deeley Research Centre (located in Victoria) and the BC Cancer Research Centre (located in Vancouver), we can quickly translate new discoveries into clinical applications. BC Cancer’s Research Centre includes eight specialty laboratories including the Genome Sciences Centre and the Terry Fox Laboratory.
The BC Cancer Foundation raises funds for cancer research and enhancements to care at BC Cancer.
Reducing the incidence of cancer is an essential part of BC Cancer’s mission.
- Cancer prevention is an essential part of cancer control. While many cancers are not yet preventable, evidence shows that a number are influenced by lifestyle or environment choices.
- Screening helps identify those with risk factors for cancer or who are in its early stages. Screens are used for the types of cancers that when detected early can reduce deaths.
BC Cancer is committed to providing all patients with access to a full range of quality cancer services, regardless of where in B.C. they live.
BC Cancer has established several networks of oncology professionals to collaborate and ensure consistent standards of cancer care and treatment are provided to patients as close to home as possible.