Skip to main content

Cancer Care Team

Your healthcare team is a group of healthcare professionals who work to treat your cancer.

Your health care team may include:

Family doctor or GP

Your family doctor or GP (general practitioner) provides general, primary healthcare to you. They play an important part in continuing your care, especially after your cancer treatments are over.

Medical oncologist

A medical oncologist is a doctor who specializes in diagnosing and treating cancer using chemotherapy, hormonal therapy, biological therapy, and targeted therapy.


A nurse gives care. Nurses often have the most contact with you and will answer questions, give medicine and provide emotional support.

Nurse Practitioner Oncologist

Nurse Practitioner Oncologists are advanced practice nurses who specialize in caring for people diagnosed with cancer. Nurse practitioners prescribe treatments and see patients before, during and after treatment. They work within the Medical Oncology, Radiation Oncology, and Pain & Symptom Management/Palliative Care teams.

Occupational therapist

An occupational therapist is similar to a physiotherapist but they also can help you return to work or modify your work activities while you have treatment. 

Oncology nurse

Oncology nurses have special training in care for people with cancer. 

Pain & symptom management/palliative care 
Pain and symptom management/palliative care clinics help manage pain and other physical problems related to any stage of cancer. Types of problems can include nausea, shortness of breath or fatigue. Clinics also assist with care planning and decision-making.


A pathologist looks at samples of tissue taken from the body under a microscope to diagnose illness or see how the cancer is being affected by the treatment.


A pharmacist prepares cancer drugs and other medications and explains how they work.


A physiotherapist can work with you to restore and maintain physical fitness. They can help you when you have a hard time moving around or carrying out daily activities.

Psychiatrist, psychologist or counsellor

Psychiatrists, psychologists, and counsellors are mental health specialists. They can help you and your family understand, manage and cope with feelings, thoughts, worries and behaviours.

Radiation oncologist

A radiation oncologist is a doctor who specializes in the treatment of cancer patients, using radiation therapy as the main mode of treatment.

Radiation therapist
‎Radiation therapists plan and deliver radiation treatments according to the prescription of the radiation oncologist. They have expert knowledge of treatment principles and calculations required for safe and accurate treatment delivery.  

The radiation therapist will have daily contact with you throughout the treatment program and your well-being is their major focus. They will guide you through radiation therapy providing education and support, and will provide links to other heath care professionals as required.

Speech-language pathologist
Speech-language pathologists specialize in maximizing quality of life through improving swallowing and communication difficulties related to your cancer or cancer treatment.

Registered dietitian

A registered dietitian can answer your questions on diet and nutrition throughout your treatment and recovery.

Social worker or counsellor

A social worker or counsellor helps you and your family cope with the illness and its treatment. Social workers can provide or refer you to counselling, support groups, financial assistance, and other resources.

SOURCE: Cancer Care Team ( )
Page printed: . Unofficial document if printed. Please refer to SOURCE for latest information.

Copyright © BC Cancer. All Rights Reserved.

    Copyright © 2024 Provincial Health Services Authority