Oncology Nutrition provides a one- to two-week elective rotation for dietetic students.
BC Cancer - Kelowna (Sindi Ahluwalia Hawkins Centre) provides two placements per year to the dietetic students belonging to the Interior Health Authority program.
BC Cancer - Prince George (Centre for the North) provides one-two placements per year to the dietetic students belonging to the Northern Health Authority program.
BC Cancer - Vancouver co-hosts their own students from the Provincial Health Services Authority and do not accept additional students for elective placements.
The one- to two-week elective oncology placements are available in the following centres:
- BC Cancer - Abbotsford
- BC Cancer - Prince George (Centre for the North)
- BC Cancer - Surrey
- BC Cancer - Victoria
The elective rotation is a comprehensive self-directed program with a strong emphasis on meeting identified needs/ areas of interest of the student.
Dietetic students will:
- have an opportunity to observe and conduct oncology patient counselling sessions with dietitians in an inpatient/ outpatient setting;
- attend inpatient rounds and outpatient conferences;
- attend relevant educational rounds based on availability;
- review patient education materials and professional resources;
- meet other health care professionals to learn about their role in the team management of the oncology patient;
- assess, plan, implement, evaluate and communicate nutritional care plans for oncology patients;
- become familiar with the general nutritional needs of cancer patient and symptom management of treatment-related side effects throughout the cancer care spectrum; and
- complete an oncology nutrition project based on discussion between the supervising dietitian and dietetic student.
It is recommended that dietetic students complete their basic clinical rotations before their oncology elective. Students are expected to demonstrate a high level of independence, commitment and professionalism. Availability of placements is limited and preference is given to dietetic students with a particular interest in oncology.
To submit a request for placement at one of the regional cancer centres, please complete the application form.