Oncology Nutrition provides a one- to two-week elective rotation for dietetic interns.
The Cancer Centre for the Southern Interior in Kelowna only provides two placements per year to the dietetic interns belonging to the Interior Health Authority program. The Vancouver Cancer Centre co-hosts their own interns from the Provincial Health Services Authority and do not accept additional interns for elective placements.
The one- to two-week elective oncology placements are available in the following centres:
- Vancouver Island Centre (Victoria)
- Abbotsford Centre (Abbotsford)
- Fraser Valley Centre (Surrey)
- Centre for the North (Prince George)
The elective rotation is a comprehensive self-directed program with a strong emphasis on meeting identified needs/ areas of interest of the intern.
- have an opportunity to observe and conduct oncology patient counselling sessions with dietitians in an inpatient/ outpatient setting;
- attend inpatient rounds and outpatient conferences;
- attend relevant educational rounds based on availablity;
- review patient education materials and professional resources;
- meet other health care professionals to learn about their role in the team management of the oncology patient;
- assess, plan, implement, evaluate and communicate nutritional care plans for oncology patients;
- become familiar with the general nutritional needs of cancer patient and symptom management of treatment-related side effects throughout the cancer care spectrum; and
- complete an oncology nutrition project based on discussion between the supervising dietitian and dietetic intern.
It is recommended that dietetic interns complete their basic clinical rotations before their oncology elective. Interns are expected to demonstrate a high level of independence, commitment and professionalism. Availability of placements is limited and preference is given to dietetic interns with a particular interest in oncology.
To submit a request for placement at one of the regional cancer centres, please complete the application form.