Skip to main content

Home Support Services

Photo of older adults talking to a child
Sometimes you might need care at home to manage cancer and treatment side effects

  • Do you have an extended health benefit plan, if you do see what home care services and/or equipment or supplies are covered and if your need a doctors note before you purchase.
  • Medical equipment and some services may be claimed on your income tax return. So keep your reciepts. 
  • Are you a veteran or member of another group that may receive federal or provincial benefits (e.g. First Nations or Persons with Disability) check to see what benefits may be available.
  • The cost of nursing and personal care may be subsidized by community care but housekeeping tasks, such as cooking, and cleaning are not covered.
  • Contact your local Health Authority, Community Care Services to have a financial assessment to determine your needs and the costs involved. Usually costs are based on personal and spousal income and assets.
  • A doctor's or other healthcare professional requisition is needed for Community Care Services, Red Cross Loaner and for some extended health plans, so ask for a referral or letter.


Better at Home

Programs provide seniors with services and supports to help you stay independent. Services are usually attached to non-profit community services in your community.  Contact Better at Home to find a program near you. 

Red Cross Loan Cupboard

The Red Cross Loan Cupboard in your community generally loans medical equipment for up to three months and all equipment loans require a referral from a regulated health care professional. Each community has different availability of programs and services. See their website for your particular community. Specific programs which allow loans for longer periods depend on availability. Call toll-free: 1-800-661-9055 to find a local program.

BC Health Authorities

Your local health authority has home and community care programs that offer healthcare services to support you at home. Go to their website listed under "Home & Community Care" for more information. 

Palliative and hospices may provide equipment for loan to those who are receivng palliative services at home. Contact your health authority.

Home Adaptations for Seniors Independence Program

This program helps First Nations low income seniors living on reserve to make adaptations to their living environment. Go to here for more information.

Ministry of Social Development & Social Innovation

If you are receiving benefits from the Ministry of Social Development, supports and services may be available see if you qualify for Persons with Disability (PWD) and their Disability Benefits. Contact the Ministry to begin application or request a service.

Palliative Care Benefits Program

The Palliative Care Benefits Program is for those individuals who have been registered by their physician and/or other healthcare professional. If you are registered with the Palliative Care Benefits Program, the cost of home aids will probably be covered, check with your healthcare professional.You must-have Healthcare BC coverage and be registered with Fair Pharmacare.

Personal Supports Line

BC Government’s website offers a Personal Supports line with information about equipment and services to keep you independent. Callers will be directed to government programs that provide equipment to assist persons with daily living activities. Call toll free: 1.888.818.1211 Email:

Residential Rehabilitation Assistance Program for Persons with Disabilities

If your home requires extensive modifications to allow for a wheelchair consult the Residential Rehabilitation Assistance Program

Veterans Independence Program

The Veterans Independence Program (VIP) helps you remain independent and keeps you self-sufficient in your home and your community. Depending on your circumstances and health needs you may qualify for financial assistance to obtain services such as grounds maintenance; housekeeping; personal care; access to nutrition; health and support services provided by a health professional.

SOURCE: Home Support Services ( )
Page printed: . Unofficial document if printed. Please refer to SOURCE for latest information.

Copyright © BC Cancer. All Rights Reserved.

    Copyright © 2018 Provincial Health Services Authority