Your need for emotional support will vary during each stage of cancer and cancer treatments.
Every person is different in how they respond to distressful situations. Some people have more knowledge or access to support than others. Some like in-person contact while others prefer online information.
Your healthcare team includes counselling. We want you to have all support you need to deal with the distress and challenges that come with a cancer diagnosis and treatment.
You might find you want a counsellor to assess your situation and provide support and referrals to programs or services. Please let your healthcare team know your concerns and need for assistance.
A variety of support options are available at your local cancer centre
and in your community. Click the "+" sign(s) below for more information.
- Talk to your family doctor
- Counsellors, psychologists, psychiatrists and spiritual health in your community may also be a support
- BC Mental Health Information Line - 1-800-661-2121 or 604-669-7600 in the Lower Mainland. The information line provides free information 24 hours a day about symptoms, causes, treatments, support programs and publications
- Canadian Mental Health Association (BC) - 1-800-555-8222 or 604-688-3234 for Lower Mainland
- Antidepressant Skills Workbook (a workbook that focuses on managing depression)
- Keltys Key Online Therapy - online courses for dealing with anxiety, depression, family support and insomnia
- Talk to someone else who has had cancer - Canadian Cancer Society: Peer support program
- Join an online support group with Cancer Chat Canada
- Check to see if a self-management program may be offered in your area
- Call the BC Bereavement Helpline call toll free 1-877-779-2223 or in the Lower Mainland 604-738-9950
- For bereavement support visit the Canadian Virtual Hospice
Support programs are available after cancer treatment at the regional centres. Programs are available until 18 months after treatment. Go to Life after Cancer and choose the tab "Followup after treatment". Go to the support after treatment handouts.