Diagnostic laboratory services include phlebotomy, histopathology, diagnostic cytology, flow cytometry and cancer genetics. Testing performed in these sections is available through referrals from physicians and the BC cancer centres.
Cervical cancer screening laboratory services includes screening all the cervical specimens from physicians across BC and maintaining the database for rescreening of patients on a regular basis.
Turnaround Time (TAT) for reports are measured from time of accessioning into the Laboratory Information System to time of sign out by the pathologists.
Expected TAT are summarized below:
Under some circumstances, cases may take longer than the expected benchmark TAT. Reasons may include:
- Processing time- technical reasons requiring prolonged processing before examination
- Second opinion- difficult diagnosis requiring another pathologist opinion
- Additional testing- special tests may add several days
- Troubleshooting- information missing which may aid in diagnosis
Oncotype DX testing is offered to patients with certain criteria and is performed off-site. The process and forms can be found below:
Note: This test is for Breast Only.
This testing is performed at Genomic Health, California USA.
This process was revised in 2016 to accommodate payment for the test by BC Cancer, under certain new criteria. This process cannot be used for self pay patients.
The new procedure is (revised 2020):
Complete a Compassionate Access Program request on the CAP website.
- Complete the consent form with the patient (form is here ) and submit it to CAP by fax or via DocuSign. Note that the patient MUST sign the form, writing "telephone consent" is NOT acceptable. For further information on how to sign the document: DocuSign – how to sign document (provider guide) and DocuSign – how to sign document (patient guide)
- Complete a requisition form on the Genomic Health patient online portal: https://www.oncotypeiq.com/en-CA
- CAP will advise if the application is successful.
- For a successful application, Genomic Health will apply to the hospital that holds the tissue for a sample to be tested.
- Upon completion of the test, the results will be available to the requesting physician on the secure patient portal.
A flow diagram of the process can be found here.
Additional information can be found at:
Genomic Health, Inc.®
Customer Service - International
Phone: +650 569 2080
Toll free: +866 662 6897 (Canada)
If you have any questions about the process for requesting this test
Pathology Office, Supervisor, BC Cancer - VCC