Research Ethics Board
The Research Ethics Board (REB) is comprised of members who among them pool extensive experience and knowledge in scientific investigations, cancer research, patient experience, and the ethical/legal issues raised by research involving humans.
- Chair: Dr. Karen Gelmon
- Vice-Chair: Dr. Vivien Bramwell
The REB complies with the US Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS) Code of Federal Regulations (45 CFR 46.103). These regulations state that every institution engaged in human subject research supported or conducted by the DHHS must have assurance of compliance approved by the US Office for Human Research Protections (OHRP/FDA.)
Federalwide Assurance (FWA) and Institutional Review Board (IRB) assurances with OHRP/FDA have been obtained for both BC Cancer and the BC Cancer Research Ethics Board (REBs in Canada are referred to as IRBs in the US):
- Type of Assurance: Federalwide Assurance for "BC Cancer"
- Assurance Numbers: FWA00001149
- Expiry Date: December 12, 2026
- Type of Assurance: IRB Assurance for "B.C. Cancer IRB #1"
- Assurance Numbers: IRB00003797
- Expiry Date: December 27, 2024
The BC Cancer Research Ethics Board is a UBC-affilated REB. UBC Office of Research Services provides regulatory oversight for all UBC affiliated REBs. Read the Assurance of Compliance Statement.