Diagnostic laboratory services include phlebotomy, histopathology, diagnostic cytology, flow cytometry and cancer genetics. Testing performed in these sections is available through referrals from physicians and the BC cancer centres.
Cervical cancer screening laboratory services includes screening all the cervical specimens from physicians across BC and maintaining the database for rescreening of patients on a regular basis.
Oncotype DX testing is offered to patients with certain criteria, the process and forms can be found below.
Note: this is for breast only.
This testing is performed at Genomic Health, California USA. This process was revised in 2016 to accomodate payment for the test by BCCA, under certain new criteria. This process cannot be used for self pay patients.The new procedure is:
A flow diagram of the process can be found here.Pads of requisitions can be obtained from:-
- Complete a Compassionate Access Program request (available from CAP).
- Complete the consent form with the patient (form is here ). Note that the patient MUST sign the form, writing "telephone consent" is NOT acceptable. The witness signature must be completed and this cannot be the same as the physician signature.
- Complete a Genomic Health requisition, Pads of these are available from Genomic Health (see below) or if you just need one form you can print this one. For an example of which sections to complete click here.
- Fax all to the Compassionate Access Program at BCCA using the fax cover page attached to the form in (2).
- CAP will advise if the application is successful.
- For a successful application, Genomic Health will apply to the Hospital that holds the tissue for a sample to be tested.
- Upon completion of the test the results will be available to the requesting physician on the secure patient portal. In order to protect patient information it is recommended that physicians have at least a 15 character password for this site and that they close the site when they walk away from their computers
Genomic Health, Inc.®
Customer Service - International
Phone: +650 569 2080
Toll free: +866 662 6897 (Canada)
If you have any questions about the process for requesting this test
please contact Laboratory Site Supervisor BCCA-VCC