Positron emission tomography (PET) is a technique that produces a three-dimensional image of functional processes in the body.
BC Cancer operates a Functional Cancer Imaging Centre which includes B.C.'s only publicly funded PET/CT scanners. Located at BC Cancer's Vancouver Centre, the facility began operations on June 28, 2005, and as of January 1, 2018 had performed over 64,000 procedures.
On September 27, 2010, the Vancouver Centre opened its onsite PET Cyclotron/Radiopharmacy facility which became licensed by Health Canada in the summer of 2015. While currently producing products for in-house use, this facility will enable the program to eventually manufacture clinical PET radiopharmaceuticals on a provincial scale while also enabling research into new compounds.
And on July 11, 2011, this facility also launched its second clinical PET/CT scanner. This state-of-the-art 64-slice time-of-flight PET/CT scanner at that time doubled clinical scanning capacity within BC's public healthcare system from 3,100 to 6,200 scans annually. More recently in December 2013, the facility further expanded it's scanning capacity through extending hours of operation. The facility now has an annual scanning capacity of over 9,500 scans.
PET/CT scanning is available at this facility for both adult and pediatric patients who fall within BC Cancer's specific
approved indications and guidelines.
The Functional Cancer Imaging Centre is being developed to:
- Improve cancer diagnosis and treatment planning for patients and health care professionals
- Build research programs for the discovery, development and application of new radiotracers
- Apply new advances in imaging to improve prevention, early diagnosis and management of cancers
- Collaborate in a growing national and international network of functional imaging programs
BC Cancer PET scan provides professional, compassionate care for patients.
Delivery of world-class innovative molecular imaging technologies and treatment strategies through research and collaboration.
- Dr. Don Wilson - Medical Director
- Dr. François Bénard - Scientific Director
- Dr. Kuo-Shyan Lin - Senior Scientist
- Dr. Peter Petric - Radiation Safety Officer
- Colin Alden - Technical Manager
- Kari Frantzen - Quality Assurance Manager
- Milan Vuckovic - Production Unit Manager
- Hayley Allan - Administrative Research Manager